As expected, Scream Queens has been canceled at Fox after two seasons. The show will definitely be missed! Fortunately, Emma does have some new projects coming up!
“We have no plans at this point to go back there and tell more stories,” co-chairman and CEO Gary Newman told reporters Monday.
It appears to be the end of the road for Scream Queens.
On a conference call with reporters Monday to discuss its fall schedule, Fox co-chairman and CEO Gary Newman confirmed that there are no plans to bring back Ryan Murphy’s comedy-horror anthology series.
“Scream Queens was an anthological series,” Newman said. “It feels as if it was a compete story. We have no plans at this point to go back there and tell more stories so we won’t be seeing Scream Queens this season.”
Not even one of the most powerful showrunners working in TV could keep the softly rated Scream Queens on the air. Though it had a following, one Fox brass emphasized was young and heavily multiplatform, linear ratings were weak, the second season of Scream Queens only averaged a 1.0 rating among adults 18-49 and 2.3 million viewers with live-plus-seven returns.
Scream Queens was one of the first big swings for Fox TV Group chairmen Dana Walden and Newman. They gave the 20th TV horror-comedy a straight-to-series order shortly after assuming control of the broadcast network. But it never quite lived up to all of the promotion.
The starry cast should be fine. Billie Lourd, for one, has already lined up a role in the upcoming seventh installment of Murphy’s American Horror Story, and Lea Michele is starring in the ABC comedy The Mayor, among others. And weep not for Murphy. He has a half-dozen thriving anthologies on cable sibling FX, in addition to the procedural drama 911, which was picked up to series by Fox last week.